- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Dry Eye Relief & Diagnosis With Our Arvada Eye Doctor Team
At the Arvada Optometric Center, we meet a lot of people from our community complaining of symptoms related to dry eyes. Our Arvada eye doctor team works hard to ensure every patient understands more about their specific condition and how to manage it.
Causes of Dry Eye Syndrome
Normally, the outer surface of your eyes are lubricated with tears; when a person develops dry eye syndrome (clinically known as keratoconjunctivitis sicca), their tears are either insufficiently produced or not produced appropriately by the body in order to effectively do their job of protection and lubrication.
There are several possible reasons why this may be happening to you or a loved one:
- Many autoimmune disorders, such as lupus, Sjögren's Syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis, and rosacea
- Meibomian gland dysfunction can cause dry eyes because there is not enough oil secreted into the tears that would otherwise prevent them from evaporating too quickly
- Environmental factors like cold weather or exposure to allergens (pollen, pet dander, make-up) and irritants ( smoke, perfumes, aerosols)
Symptoms Associated with Dry Eyes
Dry eyes are often referred to as a syndrome because multiple symptoms present and the underlying cause can be highly variable. Symptoms associated with dry eyes include:
- The feeling that something gritty, like sand, is stuck in the eye
- Redness, itchiness, and burning in the eye
- Clear watery discharge that can dry out and crust on eyelashes and lids overnight
- Blurry vision
- Photosensitivity (bright lights and glare are bothersome)
How An Eye Exam Can Help You Manage & Prevent Dry Eyes
Dry eye treatment depends on the cause of your symptoms. At our optometry clinic, we can connect you with an optometrist in Arvada who can offer the right treatment for you:
- Artificial tears to restore moisture to the eyes
- Eye drops to decrease inflammation, redness, and discomfort
- Lifestyle guidance to reduce recurring symptoms (e.g., wearing eyeglasses instead of contacts, avoiding known allergens, proper hand hygiene, at-home symptom relief such as cool or warm compresses)
- Pre- and post-operative care if you elect to undergo surgical interventions such as tear duct plugging
Contact Arvada Optometric Center to Meet with an Optometrist in Westminster CO
Call 303-424-5282 to contact an optometrist in Westminster CO who can help you find relief from your dry eye condition and help you maximize your vision and eye care needs no matter what your age, health history, or lifestyle! We look forward to serving you and helping you see a better future.